5 challenges we faced at MSNBC
Two years ago, Lullabot joined MSNBC to migrate content from their legacy sites into a single Drupal installation with a new editorial and publishing workflow. Now MSNBC.com broadcasts two news channels online, has a solid development workflow, and is in constant evolution. In this session we will cover the 5 most remarkable challenges that we faced together.Structuring fields (so many of them)
- Shared fields are into a module along with their logic.
- Kept the data model in a spreadsheet to fine tune the usage of each field.
- Videos where custom entities but then moved them to nodes for easier integration in nodequeues and embedded content.
- Made the header and footer embeddable with Angularjs so partner sites could use it.
- Moved many components to be processed client side.
- Used AngularJS forms instead of Drupal forms whenever possible.
- Pull request per ticket. Someone in the team has to review it before it is merged.
- Automated testing environments per pull request made it possible for non-tech people to chime in.
- CasperJS tests are run on testing environments to avoid regressions.
- sql-sync took two hours. Even after excluding tables.
- Trimmed large fields.
- Tried to delete old revisions and failed miserably.
- Made it blazing fast via parallel processing.
- Code flows downstream. Data flows upstream.
- One single process to update the database.
- Branch and release management through Jenkins.
- Hosting in Acquia. Fine tuned its deployment hooks.