Drupal 8 configuration management for teams
Configuration management in Drupal 8 is a great tool if used correctly. But the complexity of todays builds together with Config Split, Config Ignore, Config merge, Feature Branches, Automatic Configuration import on deployment and human mistakes makes it hard to use it correctly.
This session will provide meaningful and battle tested deep insights in the config management ecosystem and a opinionated workflow we use in our company.
The talk will cover these problems and use cases:
- Which entities and settings in Drupal 8 are content and which are configuration
- Development Configuration and Composer dev dependencies
- Using configuration split with all its goodness and quirks
- Using git and the filesystem for automatic configuration merges
- Deploying module uninstallations
- Updating your code after someone has changed configuration on production
- Distributing configuration changes over your team members
- Using bundled configuration via features
- Automatic configuration import on deployment
This talk is for:
- People who are interested in efficient team development workflows.
- People who want to learn more about configuration management
- People who struggle with configuration management in praxis
You will learn:
- Using Drupal 8 configuration efficient
- How to manage common everyday problems with configuration easily
About the speaker and this session:
I am a web developer at WONDROUS LLC in Switzerland, Basel and like to optimise workflows and automate everyday tasks. As we have multiple projects simultaneously we have strict standards in every project to onboard new developers on projects easily. A standardised approach to configuration management is also a part of it.