Admin Theming & design for a modern Drupal 8
Drupal 8 feels and look like Drupal 7 for the backenduser - Not the developer, that knows about all the REST, twig, cmi, [insert more buzzwords here] awesomeness. Sadly this makes Drupal feel like its a dinasour from 2010 - and not the modern, fresh system for powering a web experience.
So What can we do about the presentation of Drupal 8. Can fancy design help us out to get rid of the smell of 2010 ?
Why do Drupal8 look like Drupal7 ??
- Why is this very bad for the adobtion of Drupal.
- The state of drupals admin experience.
- Drupals lack of seperation of frontend & backend.
The wonders of Developer driven design.
- Patterns that became a truth "this is how we do it"
- Tables - we Love tables they are made for data!
- What if the Germans made the Design & the Italians made the Engine ?
Rethinking the design of the admin experience.
- Dont reinvent everything.
- Taking one step back, re think the experience for the user, not the developer.
- What do we want to achive by this ?
a design language for a Drupal experience.
- 1em, 16px, 8pt - making simple rules for an advanced system.
- Design first, implementation later.
This one goes to 11
- The Eleven Design project.
- Frontend Facing admin interface.
- Backend facing admin interface.
- eleven theme.
This talk is about showing some the design problems that drupal over the years have inherited by beeing a developer driven project, and point to a way out of this, so we can make Drupal be pretty.