Lessons Learned from Building a Large Multilingual, Multi-region Site in Drupal 8
With a core initiative focused on improving support for multiple languages in Drupal, Drupal 8 offers much more out of the box for building multilingual sites. It is much more powerful and offers greater flexibility than Drupal 7, and all without the need for the i18n contrib module!
Having recently launched a website with 13 distinct languages across 4 different regions, this session will take you from the basics of configuring your content to be multilingual through to making it localised in different regions and the various pitfalls encountered and lessons learned along the way.
The session will touch on the following areas:
- Configuring your languages and language negotiation
- Translating nodes and taxonomy terms
- The joys and pains of translating paragraphs
- Translating menus and user interface strings
- Regionalisation (aka localisation)
- Translation of views and other configuration, and why your module needs a schema.yml file
- Varnish, SEO, redirects and more finicky bits
Attendees should be proficient at Drupal site-building, familiar with content types, views, etc. Familiarity with multilingual in Drupal 7 not required, but might be helpful.