A young designer's view on Designing for Drupal
Drupal’s beauty lies in it’s RICH INTERFACE that can be used as a base to build an even Richer website, in a very short span of time, with reusable pieces or as we call it “modules”, “templates” and “base-themes.” On asking some of my clients as to why they chose Drupal - some of the most common answers were -
- It doesn’t take ages to build a site on Drupal
- Time to market is LEAST POSSIBLE
- It facilitates a good user interface that’s easy to use by non-technical content managers
- It saves MONEY, as it saves TIME
At the same time, I have also observed some problems arising due to lack of ability to optimise each of the above benefits.
For example, some of the problem areas are :
- Designers, with the intent to bring in creativity, often miss on considering the default available templates/layouts
- There is back and forth between designers and developers - in terms of feasibility or rather x is more time consuming than y - “Let’s re-design!”
- As a client, I need to pay slightly more if designs are re-done, even to a small extent - it is still an overhead
- As a UI developer, I sometimes need to override more code that I intend to.
- As a UI/UX designer, I have to compromise on creativity to meet the time and cost constraints
Well, what if there are workarounds/solutions to each of the above. With this session, I intend to put together some valuable tips and tricks that will help my audience understand and use “The Beauty of Drupal for both designers and developers” without compromising on quality or creativity.
At the same time, I would also like to put together some significant project examples - that illustrate how SMALL CHANGES can make a BIG IMPACT!
Intended take aways from the session -
- Designers insight of how to easily get acquainted with Drupal structures
- Considerations on what can be adjusted, and what should definitely remain as it is - Return on Investment!
- How to bridge the gap between UX/UI designers and UI developers
- Drupal prospects/Clients
- UX/UI designers
- UI developers
- Company Leads