Creating a Culture of Empowerment
Drawing on more than 15 years of leadership at Four Kitchens and other creative organizations, Todd Nienkerk will explain why empowerment is the foundation of all successful teams and demonstrate how the open-source philosophy as modeled by the Drupal community can be applied to organizational culture.
What is empowerment? Why does it matter? How can an organization create a culture of empowerment?
The guiding principles of empowerment:
- Build a company you would want to work for.
- Give people control over their destiny.
- Make trust the center of your culture.
How to cultivate empowerment:
- Personal brands. You shouldn't be afraid that people will leave. If you’re afraid people will become "too good," then you’re not offering something they want — and you know it.
- Go virtual. Allow your team the flexibility to work from home — or anywhere in the world.
- Adopt agile methodologies. Allow teams to self-organize around projects and problems.
- And much, much more...
Come see why Larry Garfield (Crell) tweeted: "TIL: You want @ToddRoss to give a keynote at your conference."
This session will build on a previous session delivered at DrupalCon Latin America 2015. You can watch the video here or download the attached slides.
About the speaker
Todd Nienkerk is a Digital Strategist and Partner at Four Kitchens. He and the other Web Chefs spend their days making big websites. Todd often serves as a mentor for other companies within the web industry, especially within the world of open source. In the last five years, Todd has spoken more than 50 events across North America, South America, and Europe, including dozens of DrupalCamps, most DrupalCons, and SXSW Interactive two years in a row.