Deploying Drupal 8 on Bare Metal with Ansible - Live!
NOTE: This session wasn't selected for this year's DrupalCon, but there will be a BoF for those interested in Ansible and Drupal—see Ansible for Drupal Infrastructure and Deployments (Wednesday, 2-3 p.m., room 504 - Just Digital)
Managing servers and deploying Drupal to them can be a difficult task. You might be managing one, ten, or hundreds of servers. When the next Heartbleed or Drupalgeddon happens, how long does it take for you to update all your sites and servers?
Whether you manage one Drupal site or thousands, Ansible makes infrastructure management and Drupal deployment easy. Plus, it uses YAML for configuration and Jinja2 (a template language just like Twig)—just like Drupal 8!
At this session, we'll set up a Dramble—a cluster of 6 Raspberry Pi 2 servers running Drupal—using Ansible, and then deploy Drupal 8 to it and show how Ansible makes managing your Drupal infrastructure easy and fun.Who is this session for?
- People who manage infrastructure and/or deploy Drupal to servers.
- People who want a configuration management tool that's built for speed, security, and ease of use.
- People who want to see how Drupal 8 runs on a cluster of Raspberry Pi servers.
- People who like cowsay.
- How to install Ansible.
- How to set up a highly-available, high-performance cluster of Raspberry Pis.
- How to use Ansible to communicate with all your servers (or groups of servers).
- How to write Ansible playbooks.
- How to install and configure software with Ansible.
- How to install and deploy updates to Drupal 8 sites with Ansible.
Jeff Geerling (geerlingguy on Drupal.org) has been working with Drupal since 2005, and is the author of Ansible for DevOps: Server and configuration management for humans. You can find him on Twitter: @geerlingguy.Cowsay Advice
"Automation shouldn't be your day job" #ansible #pycon2014