Drupal 8's render pipeline
In Drupal 8, we've significantly improved the way pages are rendered. I will explain the entire render pipeline, which will also cover:
- render caching — blocks and entities are now render cached automatically!
- cache tags — finally we have the cache invalidation system we've always needed!
- assets — only the necessary assets are loaded anymore, thanks to asset dependencies!
- bubbling — rather than relying on global statics that broke caching, we now correctly bubble up all attached metadata — no more frustrations!
But I will also explain what is going to be possible in Drupal 8:
- anonymous page loads: invalidating Varnish/CDNs with perfect precision
- authenticated page loads: not completely regenerated on every page load, but assembled from render cached parts
- alternative render strategies, like Big Pipe
Where relevant, I'll compare with Drupal 7, how you can write Drupal 7 code today that will be easy to upgrade to Drupal 8, and which Drupal 7 backports exist (hint: Big Pipe does exist!).
This talk provides a comprehensive overview about the finalized Drupal 8 render pipeline!
When & Where
Tuesday, 12 May, 2015 - 15:45 to 16:45
515B -Forum One