Drupal distributions: the present and FUTURE!
A Drupal distribution is a combination of Drupal core, some contrib modules and themes, plus default configuration that can be installed as a whole. Most distributions target a specific use case, like building restaurant websites.
So, immediately after installing the Restaurant distribution, you have a site with a menu, online reservations, and a map out-of-the-box — without having to start from vanilla Drupal 7 and build all those things from scratch. There are Drupal distributions for many use cases: company intranets, e-commerce store fronts, conference websites, sales demos, and much more!
In this Panel discussion, we'll be discussing questions like:
- Why to use a Drupal distribution?
- What are some tips and pitfalls when using a distribution?
- Why to create your own distribution?
- How to get started creating your distribution?
- How will distributions look in Drupal 8?
... and answer your questions as well!
On the Panel, we'll have representatives from some of the biggest Open Source distributions available, including:
- Ryan Szrama or Bojan Živanović (still figuring out the details), maintainers of Commerce Kickstart
- Brant Wynn, maintainer of Demo Framework and Lightning
- Mike Potter, maintainer of Open Atrium
- Jakob Perry, maintainer of COD and Drupal Commons
- David Snopek, co-maintainer of Panopoly