Inside Los Angeles' Move to Drupal
In this session, we will showcase the City of Los Angeles project to transform their existing government service sites into a manageable Drupal based platform. We will show how this project tackled major goals of internal maintainability, repurposing existing data sources, and minimizing disruption across a diverse range of departments and sites.
As part of any complex city government migration, many technical and political hurdles need to be overcome. Some highlights that will be discussed include:
- The background of the project and historical infrastructure.
- The planning and agile development process, and collaboration between the Los Angeles internal technology team and development partners.
- Development of a common city-wide site platform.
- Cataloging back-end data sources and planning integration points and approaches.
- Supporting data feeds of various types from multiple sources.
- Creating streamlined interfaces for content managers who are not Drupal developers.
- Coordinating training of staff to become Drupal content managers.
- Choosing a hosting and deployment platform to ensure reliability, performance, and a source controlled environment.
- Baking accessibility into both the site and editorial tools.
When & Where
Tuesday, 12 May, 2015 - 14:15 to 15:15
Petree D - Blink Reaction + Pro People