Using S3 for every Drupal file
Since Drupal 7, PHP StreamWrappers have made it possible to move any file, public or private, off of a locally mounted file system to S3. However, this isn't something you could just toggle on and once done, comes with pitfalls and performance issues. We'll talk about how to build a site without locally mounted Drupal files. Then I'll explain the patches and patterns needed to make it perform. Finally, we will try it out on a live Drupal 8 site.
- General Drupal and S3 introduction.
- Getting aggregates and image styles into S3
- Performance pitfalls with fixes, workarounds and patches.
- Questionably scientific benchmarking.
- Moving to Drupal 8 with an actual site.
Coding and Development