An Effective Development Workflow in Drupal 8
Drupal 8 will be perfect for professional developers, and a well-structured development workflow will allow to create and maintain sites in Drupal 8 with unprecedented efficiency and robustness. If you are already familiar with a clean development workflow in Drupal 7 (Features, makefiles, profiles), you will find that, despite the entirely different technology, you can be immediately productive in Drupal 8. The day-long course focuses on describing what is new in Drupal 8 about managing configuration, structuring projects in a clean way and reusing components across projects. We will see what is there, the concepts behind it, the gaps that contrib modules may fill and the best practices a developer should follow to start developing Drupal 8 projects the right way.
Participants will get a comprehensive overview of what’s new in Drupal 8, and especially Configuration Management, and will learn how to:
- Take advantage of the new native Configuration Management in Drupal 8
- Keep track of all changes to a website
- Work in a distributed team with no risks of overlapping during development
- Reuse components and settings
- Safely manage site updates with virtually no downtime
- Deploy faster by using Drush and an optimal shell configuration
Materials will include slides, printed handouts for participants, cheatsheets for quick reference.
The course is divided in modules. Each module will be structured as a presentation with slides, a brief session for general discussion/questions and an assisted practical assignments.
- Drupal 8 goes Code-Driven: the new Configuration Management
- Inner workings of Configuration Management vs. Features
- The Drupal 8 development Workflow
- Bootstrapping a Drupal 8 project
- A collaborative Drupal 8 workflow
- How to build re-usable components
- Configuration Management for Developers
- Advanced topics and guided examples
Who will gain the most from this course?
The ideal target are advanced Drupal 7 developers who want to be ready for Drupal 8 from day zero, without having to re-learn how to do things right from scratch. Intermediate Drupal 7 developers who have some familiarity with Features will find the course useful too.
Prerequisites for this course
Some familiarity with Drupal 7 concepts and with the Features module will be assumed. No Drupal 8 knowledge is necessary, we will cover the basics at the beginning of the course. It is recommended that students bring their laptops to class. Trainers will take care of executing practical tasks slowly enough for everybody to understand without the need for students to replicate actions on their laptop. Those students who already have a good familiarity with Drupal development and a local development environment ready may replicate the exercises on their laptops during the training. All code will anyway be distributed to students so that it can be kept for future reference.
Date: May 11
Cost: $500 - includes breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks
Training Company: Nuvole
Experience Level: Advanced
Drupal Version: 8.x