Entities 101 : Understanding Data Structures in Drupal
Nodes, content entities, config entities, bundles, display modes... what? For people new to Drupal, and even those that have been around awhile, the weird naming of these things can be confusing. In this session, we will be learning about the different data structures in Drupal, how they work, and when to use them.
Topics will include:
- Config vs. content entities
- the differences between core entities like taxonomy, nodes, and users
- advantages and disadvantages to using each
- tips for fields and display settings
- how to optimize your configuration
- when to use a custom entity
While we will be touching on some very deep, and specific details, this session will be friendly for beginners. No coding or programming knowledge is required. However, even some intermediate developers and long time site builders will probably learn a thing or two.
The goal is to understand the underlying philosophy behind the Entity system so you can make better decisions on how to build sites that work well, and do what you need to do.
Slides available at : http://j.mp/entities101