Themes make Drupal websites beautiful – and front-end developers (“themers” in the Drupal world) are the bridge between the science of code and the art of design. While Drupal markup isn’t the prettiest out of the box, it’s very flexible in how you alter it. A good theme will show off all the best aspects of your website, while maintaining the flexibility that Drupal brings to the table.
This training will familiarize front-end developers to the new workflow introduced by the release of Drupal 8. You will learn hands-on the process of building a Drupal 8 theme that will be easy to extend and maintain.
The goal of this training will be to introduce the Drupal 8 theme layer as well as getting familiar with sub themes, preprocess functions and debugging.
Session 1: Introduction to Drupal
- Theming Skills for Front end Developers in Drupal
- What is the theme layer?
- Types of themes Exercise
- Exercise: Explore the Block System
- How does theming work?
- Exercise: Add a theme
- The chain of command
Session 2: Starting a new theme
- Exercise: Constructing a basic theme
- Exercise: Controlling markup in your theme
- Exercise: Display custom variables
- Exercise: Intercept and alter Review: Anatomy of a theme
- Exercise: Configure the theme settings
Session 3: Starter themes and Sub themes
- Exercise: Create a bear_skin Subtheme
Session 4: Front-End Security and Performance
- Sanitizing output
- Front-end Performance
Session 5: Theming Views and Fields
- Exercise: Overriding Views Templates
- Exercise: Customizing Field output
Session 6: Introduction to jQuery for Drupal
- Adding jQuery to Drupal and Understanding the basic Syntax
- Drupal Behaviors
Session 7: Resources
- Popular Front End Modules
- CSS/SASS Resources
Front-end and full stack developers new to Drupal, front-end Drupal 7 developers new to Drupal 8.
You should have a good understanding of HTML and CSS and some experience with Sass and JS. You should be familiar with Drupal site building.
Any local Drupal development environment will work. We will send instructions on how to set one up before class.
Date: May 9, 2016
Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Cost: $450 early bird rate (through April 15), $500 regular rate - includes light breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks
Training Company: Zivtech
Trainers: Jody Hamilton and Alban Bailly
Experience Level: Intermediate
Drupal Version: 8.x