Introduction to Drupal 8 Module Development
Module development for Drupal is more powerful than ever with Drupal 8. Object-orientation, the maturity of Drupal's various APIs, Drupal 8's new underlying Symfony (and other) components, and the emergence of Drupal Console means that developing for Drupal 8 requires some new knowledge for existing Drupal developers. This workshop is designed to introduce existing Drupal developers as well as (non-Drupal) PHP developers to some of the techniques and concepts for Drupal 8 module development. The workshop includes an overview of some of the main concepts and tools as well as several hands-on module development exercises designed to build knowledge and confidence.
- An understanding of the basic concepts that comprise Drupal 8 module development.
- An understanding of the basic tools that can be used to create Drupal 8 modules including a code editor and Drupal Console.
- The creation of a simple "Hello, world" custom module.
- The creation of an "HTML5 Audio" module that provides a custom field formatter for fields of type "link".
- The creation of a "User blocker" module that provides a mechanism for privileged users to block site users by username.
- Instructor and student introductions
- Review local development tools
- Introduction to Drupal 8 Module Development slides and discussion
- "Hello, World!" example.
- "HTML5 Audio" example.
- "User Blocker" example.
Drupal 7 and PHP developers experienced with PHP, the command-line interface, Git, and working in a local *AMP development environment.
- Some experience with PHP.
- Some familiarity with object-oriented concepts.
- Experience working in the command-line interface.
- Experience working in a local *AMP development environment.
- Experience with a code editor.
- Existing knowledge of Drupal APIs is helpful, but not necessary.
- An up-and-running local *AMP stack with a fresh Drupal 8 install.
- Drush is strongly recommended to be pre-installed on each student's machine. For those that don't have it installed, Acquia Dev Desktop provides a complete *AMP stack with Drush installed for both Mac and Windows.
- Drupal Console is used in this workshop, for Windows users that have trouble installing this, alternate methods to complete the exercises will be provided.
Date: May 9, 2016
Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Cost: $450 early bird rate (through April 15), $500 regular rate - includes light breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks
Training Company: DrupalEasy/Six Mile Tech
Experience Level: Intermediate
Drupal Version: 8.x