Building reusable websites on Drupal 8: lessons learned from transforming rednoseday.com
In this session, I will walk through our process of building reusable websites in Drupal 8. In particular, I will talk about our experience at Comic Relief - one of UK's major charities - in rebuilding rednoseday.com on top of an installation profile that comes prebuilt with features required for building engaging, fast and secure fundraising websites.
The following topics will be covered in this talk:
- editorial processes to build compelling landing pages, in particular our use of the "paragraphs" editorial flows.
- what our Drupal 8 distribution looks like and how we deal with configuration, one-step installs using Phing, and default content
- creation of a "living" pattern lab as an incubation area for prototyping and testing new front-end components
- test-driven development with a focus on behat tests
- our git flow model including CI and feature preview branches
- following the KISS principle at every step of the way (reducing our need for custom code and thus maintenance!)
- separating logic into independent services using message queues
- and last but not least: how to build a great development team to build such a product
This session is aimed at Drupal developers, Drupal architects and technical leads interested in building reusable website "products" on Drupal 8 and understanding the ingredients required to do so.